Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:52:33 -0500

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023, at 11:30 AM, Gottfried wrote:
> (I am using Icecat with the Tor browser)

I’m not sure I understand your configuration, and I rarely use Tor myself, but
I wanted to make sure you’re aware that changing even innocuous-seeming
settings can expose you to fingerprinting risks:

https://blog.torproject.org/browser-fingerprinting-introduction-and-challenges-ahead/

There’s an especially concise summary at
<https://support.torproject.org/tbb/tbb-14/>:

> If your copy of Tor Browser has a unique fingerprint, your browsing
> activities can be deanonymized and tracked even though you are using Tor
> Browser.
>
> Basically, each browser's settings and features create what is called a
> "browser fingerprint". Most browsers inadvertently create a unique
> fingerprint for each user which can be tracked across the internet. Tor
> Browser is specifically engineered to have a nearly identical (we're not
> perfect!) fingerprint across its users. This means each Tor Browser user
> looks like every other Tor Browser user, making it difficult to track any
> individual user.

-Philip