Newbie user: Why newly created user is not shown in default display mana

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: Newbie user: Why newly created user is not shown in default display manager?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 22:25:54 -0500

Table of Contents
_________________

1. The context
2. The problem
3. The question

1 The context
=============

  Newbie user here. I want to create a new user. I defined the user
  `rdrg3' in my `/etc/config.scm' file (see code block below)

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  | ;; This is an operating system configuration generated
  | ;; by the graphical installer.
  | ;;
  | ;; Once installation is complete, you can learn and modify
  | ;; this file to tweak the system configuration, and pass it
  | ;; to the 'guix system reconfigure' command to effect your
  | ;; changes.
  |

  | ;; Indicate which modules to import to access the variables
  | ;; used in this configuration.
  | (use-modules (gnu))
  | (use-service-modules cups desktop networking ssh xorg)
  |
  | (operating-system
  |   (locale "en_US.utf8")
  |   (timezone "America/Lima")
  |   (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us"))
  |   (host-name "sony")
  |
  |   ;; The list of user accounts ('root' is implicit).
  |   (users (cons* (user-account
  |                   (name "rdrg")
  |                   (comment "This is a comment for user rdrg")
  |                   (group "users")
  |                   (home-directory "/home/rdrg")
  |                   (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"
"video")))
  | (user-account
  |                   (name "rdrg3")
  |                   (comment "This is a comment for user rdrg3")
  |                   (group "users")
  |                   (home-directory "/home/rdrg3")
  |                   (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"
"video")))
  |                 %base-user-accounts))
  |
  |   ;; Packages installed system-wide.  Users can also install packages
  |   ;; under their own account: use 'guix search KEYWORD' to search
  |   ;; for packages and 'guix install PACKAGE' to install a package.
  |   (packages (append (list (specification->package "emacs")
  |                           (specification->package "emacs-exwm")
  |                           (specification->package
  |                            "emacs-desktop-environment")
  |                           (specification->package "nss-certs"))
  |                     %base-packages))
  |
  |   ;; Below is the list of system services.  To search for available
  |   ;; services, run 'guix system search KEYWORD' in a terminal.
  |   (services
  |    (append (list
  |
  |                  ;; To configure OpenSSH, pass an
'openssh-configuration'
  |                  ;; record as a second argument to 'service' below.
  |                  (service openssh-service-type)
  |                  (set-xorg-configuration
  |                   (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout
keyboard-layout))))

  |            ;; This is the default list of services we
  |            ;; are appending to.
  |            %desktop-services))
  |   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
  |                 (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
  |                 (targets (list "/boot/efi"))
  |                 (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
  |   (swap-devices (list (swap-space
  |                         (target (uuid

 "21a4d7a3-b35b-45e1-9d91-e4fa97a593c0")))))

  |   ;; The list of file systems that get "mounted".  The unique
  |   ;; file system identifiers there ("UUIDs") can be obtained
  |   ;; by running 'blkid' in a terminal.
  |   (file-systems (cons* (file-system
  |                          (mount-point "/boot/efi")
  |                          (device (uuid "E04D-B82E"
  |                                        'fat32))
  |                          (type "vfat"))
  |                        (file-system
  |                          (mount-point "/")
  |                          (device (uuid
  |                                   "67aa77a1-4cb4-4cf5-bca6-ea51c4e5632e"
  |                                   'ext4))
  |                          (type "ext4")) %base-file-systems)))
  `----

  And executed the following command as root. The command returned `0'
  as exit code.

  ,----
  | guix system reconfigure /etc/system.scm
  `----

  I can see the user `user3' at `/etc/passwd'

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  | rdrg3:x:1002:998:This is a comment for user
rdrg3:/home/rdrg3:/gnu/store/d99ykvj3axzzidygsmdmzxah4lvxd6hw-bash-5.1.8/bin/bash

rdrg:x:1000:998:Rdrg:/home/rdrg:/gnu/store/d99ykvj3axzzidygsmdmzxah4lvxd6hw-bash-5.1.8/bin/bash
  `----

  I rebooted my system.

2 The problem

  When my system boots, the display manager only shows the user that I
  created during system installation (i.e. it doesn't show `rdrg3').

3 The question

  What am I doing wrong? Due to my inexperience with Guix, I believe I
  might have omitted something obvious.