Re: %current-system and --system

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: %current-system and --system
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:08:32 +0200

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 10:37:44AM -0500, Greg Hogan wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> From my x86_64 machine I am executing offload builds targeting an
> aarch64 machine:
>
> $ guix build --system=aarch64-linux --manifest=manifest.scm
>
> Several packages do not build for aarch64 and need to be filtered out.
> %current-target-system is #f as these are offload builds not cross
> compilation, and %current-system is reported as "x86_64-linux". How
> can I access the current "build system"?
>
> If it helps, the manifest is defined at
> https://github.com/greghogan/guix-manifest
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Here's a (reduced) snippet I have from my home-config (and previously in
my manifest file):

(define %my-package-list
  (list "git"
        "git:send-email"
        "git-annex")

(define package-list
  (map (compose list specification->package+output)
       (filter (lambda (pkg)
                 (member (or (%current-system)
                             (%current-target-system))
                         (package-transitive-supported-systems
                           (specification->package+output pkg))))
              %my-package-list)))

(%current-target-system) doesn't currently work with guix-home but I
figured I'd have it ready. package-transitive-supported-systems makes it
so that git-annex, which shows as supported on aarch64-linux, isn't
added because ghc, one of its dependencies, isn't supported on
aarch64-linux.