Re: Icecat and Chromium don't activate the right color scheme of website

From: Timo Wilken
Subject: Re: Icecat and Chromium don't activate the right color scheme of websites
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 16:12:25 +0100

Hi Luis,

On 8 March 2023 16:01:11 CET, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if any of you can reproduce the following issue using either
>Icecat or Chromium (ungoogled). I'm using the Guix System ab6e434 and the
>official Guix channel, Icecat 102.8.0esr and Chromium 109.0.5414.119.
>
>STEPS TO REPRODUCE
>
>1. Set your desktop environment or web browser to use a dark theme.
>2. Visit https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/texinfo-css/

Yes, I can reproduce this in IceCat.

>QUESTIONS
>
>Do you know of any defaults in Icecat or Chromium that might be preventing the
>expected functionality from working correctly? As far as I understand the
>versions of both Icecat and Chromium in Guix are supposed to support all the
>features required for automatic color scheme activation to work.

It works for me if I disable IceCat's "resist fingerprinting" option (search
for "fingerprint" on about:preferences). I assume that sites can fingerprint
your browser based on its theme (light or dark), which is presumably why this
option disables the CSS feature.

I have also set Language and Appearance > Web site appearance to "IceCat theme"
in about:preferences; my theme is "System theme - auto" and I'm using a dark
GTK theme.

Cheers,
Timo