Re: open config.scm with sudo and gedit or emacs

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: open config.scm with sudo and gedit or emacs
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 18:05:01 +0100

Hi Gottfried,

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-03-11T11:33:33+0100]:

> because of my limited knowledge
> when opening my config.scm file with sudo
> I can do it only with nano

The strategy I personally prefer is to edit a file in my home directory
and then sudo cp to /etc/config.scm.

More concretely, I store my system configuration in
~/.config/guix/system-config.scm.  I edit it with Emacs, as I would edit
any other normal file.  When I am done editing, I do what essentially is

sudo cp ~/.config/guix/system-config.scm /etc/config.scm

I use Emacs's Dired mode + Tramp to actually do the copy, but that's
inessential to the strategy.

One advantage of this approach is that you can version your local file
using Git or some other version control system (VCS).  Even without VCS,
editing a local copy of your system configuration may prevent some
silly mistakes.

-
Sergiu