Re: Too many levels of symbolic links

From: Roman Scherer
Subject: Re: Too many levels of symbolic links
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:16:52 +0100

Felix, I'm back on track! I found what triggered this horrible problem :)

At some point I added the qemu-binfmt-service-type to my system. I
copied a snipped from the manual and finally "adjusted" it to this:

```
(define %qemu-service
  (service qemu-binfmt-service-type
           (qemu-binfmt-configuration
            (platforms (lookup-qemu-platforms "aarch64" "x86_64")))))
```

I don't know much about quem and I thought, well let's choose the
"aarch64" and "x86_64" qemu platforms on which I run Guix, and maybe
re-use this service on multiple machines.

My Guix system runs on the aarch64 architecture. It turns out that
having "aarch64" in lookup-qemu-platforms causes the "Too many levels of
symbolic links" error. As soon as I remove it, everything is good again.

Now, maybe it does not even makes sense to add "aarch64" to that list,
but I think it should not fail that catastrophical. I still don't know
which symlink was causing this issue, though.

That's where I am. Just happy that I survived my first serious Guix
crash. :)

Thanks for your help so far,

Roman