Re: Too many levels of symbolic links

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Too many levels of symbolic links
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:41:29 +0200

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 08:16:52PM +0100, Roman Scherer wrote:

> Felix, I'm back on track! I found what triggered this horrible problem :)
>
> At some point I added the qemu-binfmt-service-type to my system. I
> copied a snipped from the manual and finally "adjusted" it to this:
>
> ```
> (define %qemu-service
>   (service qemu-binfmt-service-type
>            (qemu-binfmt-configuration
>             (platforms (lookup-qemu-platforms "aarch64" "x86_64")))))
> ```
>
> I don't know much about quem and I thought, well let's choose the
> "aarch64" and "x86_64" qemu platforms on which I run Guix, and maybe
> re-use this service on multiple machines.
>
> My Guix system runs on the aarch64 architecture. It turns out that
> having "aarch64" in lookup-qemu-platforms causes the "Too many levels of
> symbolic links" error. As soon as I remove it, everything is good again.
>
> Now, maybe it does not even makes sense to add "aarch64" to that list,
> but I think it should not fail that catastrophical. I still don't know
> which symlink was causing this issue, though.
>
> That's where I am. Just happy that I survived my first serious Guix
> crash. :)
>
> Thanks for your help so far,
>
> Roman

I'm surprised that it worked for you. One of the unspoken rules of qemu
binfmt emulation is you don't emulate your own hardware. I'm also
surprised because in the past I tried to enable binfmt emulation on my
pinebook pro and the qemu-binfmt-service-type was the difference between
booting and not booting.