Re: Musescore and other music notation packages like Lilypond, Frescobal

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Musescore and other music notation packages like Lilypond, Frescobaldi, Denemo, Rosegarden
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:24:49 +0100

Hi Gottfried,

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

>> You use
>>> lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly
>>> to create the document,
>

> I tried to go into my lilypond profile

How do you go into the lilypond profile?
guix shell lilypond?

> and to create a lilypond file:
>
> lilypond test.ly
>
> but it doesn’t create a document.
>
> message:
> test.ly can’t be found.
>
> Than I created a file:
> touch test.ly
>
> and opended it with:
> gedit test.ly
>
> So I can edit this file but
> terminal message:
> TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'

This sounds like gtk stuff is missing.

> Do I have to install something else?
>
> How can I create a .ly file in the terminal?

As a start you can use the simplest editor: nano

guix shell lilypond nano -- nano test.ly

Just edit the file there, then press CTRL-o to save and CTRL-x to exit
nano.

for starters:

# get a shell with the required programs
guix shell lilypond nano mercurial timidity++

hg clone https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/draketos-songbook
cd draketos-songbook
# edit the file
nano delfini-tune.ly
# create pdf and midi
lilypond delfini-tune.ly
# see the output
evince delfini-tune.pdf
# listen to it
timidity delfini-tune.midi

(that example is a song I set for my kids, so don’t expect anything fancy)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein