Re: getting loginctl to work

From: SeerLite
Subject: Re: getting loginctl to work
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:21:09 -0300

Hi! Is it maybe Polkit? Polkit was stopping me from suspending my laptop via
SSH. The exact same behavior as you: no output and error code 1.

Since the only `loginctl` command I cared about was `suspend`, I added my user
to the `power` group, added the `power` group to `operating-system`, defined
the following extension:

    ; Rule template stolen from from gnu/services/desktop.scm: polkit-wheel
    ; and rule itself stolen from https://askubuntu.com/a/992878
    (define polkit-power-rules
      (file-union
       "polkit-power"
       `(("share/polkit-1/rules.d/power.rules"
          ,(plain-file
            "power.rules"
            "polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
        if (action.id == \"org.freedesktop.login1.suspend\" &&
            subject.isInGroup(\"power\")) {
            return polkit.Result.YES;
        }
    });")))))

and added the above to my services like:

    (simple-service 'polkit-power-rules polkit-service-type (list
polkit-power-rules))

You'd have to do something but I'm guessing for `login1.poweroff` instead.

SeerLite