Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:00:20 +0200

Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org> writes:
>>> https://github.com/hyphanet/browser/blob/main/freenetbrowser.in#L177

> It seems the file Arne showed you is a shell script (well, bash
> script). This script can be used to configure a Firefox-based browser
> to access a peer-to-peer filesharing network called "Freenet".

To be precise, it’s the automake source file for such a shell script,
but the essence is correct :-)
(especially since I actually don’t use the features automake provides)

> I believe Arne didn't want you to run this script as-it-is (it's not
> a Freenet-related thread, after all). He probably wanted you to take
> inspiration from a part of it that creates and configures an actual
> Firefox profile and starts the browser with it.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

> P.S. Arne, this looks pretty useful. Do you also happen to know ways to
> install Firefox extensions and configure per-site cookie settings from
> a script? I'd be very happy to have a way to do it without having to
> run Selenium ;)

I can’t tell you off-hand, but you can find most of such configuration
by starting with a specialized script like the configured one and then
only installing the extension and the settings you need. Many parts of
the configuration are in plain text. That’s how I found those settings
here :-)

Though not everything is as convenient as the parts I configure
automatically.

Best wishes,
Arne
--