Re: Replication question

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Replication question
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:08:02 +0200

Hello Richard; yours is a good answer.  Let me add:

Richard Sent <richard@freakingpenguin.com> writes:
> 1. Guix time-machine. e.g.
> guix time-machine --commit=XXX -- package -m manifest.scm
>
>      a. This will create a profile containing the exact packages at that
>      moment in time, including A@old.
>
>      b. All packages will be at whatever version the corresponding
>      Scheme package variable is at for that commit. See (info "(guix)
>      Invoking guix time-machine"). Probably not the best idea to use
>      long term.

Note that “guix time-machine … -- install” or “guix time-machine … --
build” can be used for individual packages.  So repeated time-machine to
each package’s commit can reproduce the environment (have not tested it,
but should be true).

guix time-machine can also take a channel description file instead
of a commit, if we are talking about other channels.

Also to comment on Mauritz’ question, the @ syntax of guile@2.2.7 has
nothing to do with reproducibility.  Everybody understood correctly that
by A@old, A from an old Guix commit was your intended meaning; I want to
clarify this for future readers.

Regards,
Florian