Re: How I installed the Hurd on VMware.

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: How I installed the Hurd on VMware.
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:13:58 +0200

> > alas) program that emulates a physical PC in software.  It's ideal for
> There is a free project named plex86 which aims to do the same as
> VMware and it would be a Good Thing to support this project to
> mature to a level where it can be used to develop free OSes.
There is also bochs (http://www.bochs.com), which had a commercial license,
but was recently converted to free software. Like other PC emulators,
bochs is not yet finished, but it has some nice features. I'm using bochs
while experimenting with GRUB, OSKit and L4, though I didn't try to boot the
Hurd under bochs yet... Be warned: Bochs is (currently) _SLOW_ on a Pentium,
but a lot faster under UltraSPARC or other RISC-CPUs. Dynamic translation
of small x86 code sequences may prove very useful here if it ever became
available.

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net