Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?
Date: 30 Oct 2000 21:18:00 +0100

Ad Buijsen <ad@basket.iae.nl> writes:

>   The HURD relies heavily on mach: ports are used profusely and threads
> are assumed to be available in bucketloads.  L4 offers nothing like
> ports and the maximum numbers of threads per task is quite limited.
> There are ways to overcome the latter, but the cost (in terms of
> performance) may be prohibitive.  Perhaps a L4 guru can shed some light
> on this matter.

Perhaps it is possible to map several pthreads onto a fewer number of
kernel threads? I think I've read that the Solaris pthread
implementation can do something like that, and that switching between
pthreads that are mapped to the same kernel thread (which is done at
user level) is supposed to be more efficient than switching between
kernel threads.

/Niels