GNU R on GNU Hurd

From: Zsombor Cseres-Gergely
Subject: GNU R on GNU Hurd
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 07:34:32 +0000

Hi,

I compiled R on the Hurd, and (it seems that) everything went fine except X
support. I posted the results to R developers, but I can not answer their
questions. Probably you can. The relevant message is (hope it is not too long):

----- Forwarded message from Duncan Temple Lang <duncan@research.bell-labs.com>
-----

[snip]

> Bad news is that make check fails saying:
>
> Fatal error: The X11 shared library could not be loaded.
>   The error was /home/zs/R-1.1.1/bin/R_X11.so: undefined symbol: R_GlobalEnv

Just a quick thought....

Rather than being a problem with X11, it looks like it may be a
problem associated with dlopen() when the R_X11.so library is
explicitly loaded during the initialization. Basically, that `library'
(R_X11.so) has to resolve all of the symbols to which it refers, and
many of them are in the R executable (R.bin). Perhaps the linking and
application in a way that shared libraries can find them.  Or it may
be as simple as the flag passed to dlopen() not being RTLD_GLOBAL
(although that shouldn't matter).

[snip]

----- End forwarded message -----

Thank you,