Re: Installing XFree86

From: Erik Hunger
Subject: Re: Installing XFree86
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:24:18 -0500

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 05:28:50AM +0200, Petros Sidiropoulos wrote:
> hello all
> I  have a real problem installing XFree86 under Hurd, could someone give
> detailed instructions  about which steps to follow in order to install X ?
>
> thanks a lot
> Petros Sidiropoulos -
> pesid@kav.forthnet.gr
> GRECCE -

        All of that is available if you look through the mailing lists and are
patient. This takes rather a lot of time though, as I've recently had cause to
find out. I wrote up something which might help. It describes what I remember
doing, anyway.

http://members.nbci.com/Lanir/hurd/XFreeInstall.html

        If you would be kind enough to go try this out and make me aware of any
problems you have, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to correct any issues with it
and see if it can't be made into a passable HOWTO. If you currently have any
packages for X installed, I'd recommend uninstalling them and starting over
unless you're fairly sure it's a configuration problem. I don't know anywhere
near enough
about Debian to try troubleshooting package issues.

Lanir