Re: Hacking the Hurd

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Re: Hacking the Hurd
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:38:15 +1100

On 28 Nov 00, at 14:40, Patrick Strasser wrote:

> James Buchanan wrote:

> > > How is that going to help you install the hurd?
> > Because I have the files on a CD, and I need a CD driver to make my
> > CDROM work of course.
>
> What about a Linux Floppy Disk System/Distribution, you get nearly
> everything working, including your CD-Rom and networking, and if you
> mind you can include the installation tools (As mentioned in the
> guides).
I don't know of any that exist, and I was talking with my father
about making a Hurd distribution ourselves, like RedHat et al. do
Linux and others BSD etc. That would be a cool project to work on!
I can make myself useful and do the downloading from GNU FTP
site... :P

> > > Why don't you look?
> > Hum, friend, I am a mathematician, not a computer scientist. I'm
> > sorry for being so ignorant.
>
> Hurd is sometimes orientated at Linux, so try to use Linux resources
> like freshmeat.net.
Never heard of it. I'll log on and take a look.
Better you use a *nix system as you can copy the