X Windows for Hurd

From: James Buchanan
Subject: X Windows for Hurd
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:02:05 +1100

Hello everybody,

I am batting around the idea of a Hurd distribution, like Red Hat and
all the rest do their own Linux distributions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no X server that is compiled ready
for the Hurd? If not, I'm going to try to compile XFree86 on the Hurd
and see what happens (when I actually get the Hurd installed...)
and try and run a desktop wm, I rather like AfterStep.

Am I trying to attempt something that's nearly impossible? I mean,
am I missing something, i.e. there is more to it than just compiling
an X server and a window manager package? I will need to compile
Xlib and possibly the Xtoolkit as well, is that right?

Looking forward to see what people have to say about X for Hurd.

Regards,
James