Re: X Windows for Hurd

From: Daniel E Baumann
Subject: Re: X Windows for Hurd
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:00:41 -0600

On Wednesday 29 November 2000 06:52, James Buchanan wrote:
> This sounds great! I have wanted to make a Linux distribution for a
> long time. No doubt I can do it, but the package manager that
> RedHat has is superior, and so is their installation program, so I'll

rpm superior to dpkg and apt? No way. I left RedHat months ago for Debian
GNU/Linux and I haven't looked back. Even rpm and rpmfind doesn't come close
to apt or dselect. Debian, IMHO, has a lot better package manager than
RedHat. It might be nice to have a better installer, but this is only gonna
help the "average" user and the HURD is alpha right now so what I feel we
need right now is just more developers until the HURD is more mature. I am
not trying to dicourage you though, if write a nice installation program I'm
sure even the seasoned developers would appreciate it.

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail:
        baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location:
        http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
        http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson

"...that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by an invention of ours, and this we
should do freely and generously..."

     -- Benjamin Franklin