Problem in cross-install

From: Vladimir Tamara
Subject: Problem in cross-install
Date: 07 Dec 2000 09:11:33 +0100

Hi

I could  install the Hurd by  using the latest tarball  of Markus, and
following  the  instructions  of  the  guides  of  Neal  and  Matthew.
Thanks!.

Before trying  the tarball I  tried with cross-install, but  it stoped
with:

------------------------------------
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/tcpd_7.6-5.deb
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/textutils_2.0-3.deb
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/perl-5.005_5.005.03-7.1.deb
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/libncurses4_4.2-3.4.deb

Installing optional packages, this may take some time.
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/less_358-1.deb
- /home/vtamara/temp/partial/ed_0.2-18.deb

ERROR: dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:
INSTALLATION ABORTED!

warning, `temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Origin'
warning, `temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Bugs'
dpkg-deb: ignoring 2 warnings about the control file(s)
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.
  hurd provides login but is unpacked but not configured.
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not configured.

INSTALLATION ABORTED because of unknown errors. Partial installation
is NOT usable. Correct the error and start from scratch.

------------------------------------

I'm  using  Debian  2.2  on  a  Pentium II  400,  with  ethernet  card
Via-rhine.  After installing the  tarball, things seems to behave well
(except my keyboard since it is a Germnan layout and with the networdk
--althouhg the card is correctly detected).

I'm  attaching  to  this   email  also  the  install.log  produced  by
cross-install.

If needed I could install again with cross-install to help solving the
problem.

Best regards
--
  Vladimir Támara Patiño.