Can't get GRUB boot the hurd

From: Wouter Verhelst
Subject: Can't get GRUB boot the hurd
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:00:29 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I recently downloaded the cross-install script (and friends) to install
Debian GNU/Hurd. I'm already running Debian GNU/Linux, so could start
right away.

I tried to follow the instructions in 'The easy guide to installing the
Hurd on a Linux box' by Matthew Vernon, but got stuck at the moment I had
to boot from the grub-disk.

The partition used to install the Hurd is partition is /dev/hda5 under
Linux. So I told GRUB 'root=(hd1,0)' and got no error. I then told GRUB
'kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s5 -s' and got no error either. When I
entered 'boot', the kernel started to boot, but after a while failed to go
on because (at least, that's what it says) it couldn't find the root
filesystem.

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with anything, but my
harddisk is a 40GB-harddisk. I have to run a software BIOS to be able to
see the entire harddisk from within DOS and family.

If you need more information, please ask!