Re: Hurd on old computers

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd on old computers
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:35:21 +0200

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:15:09AM +0800, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> I am booting on a machine with 8 Meg of virtual memory. Does booting
> single-user hurd actually require that much memory?

I don't know if it is required in a fundamental way, but obviously it is
required currently, as you have tried it and it failed with a paging error.
Maybe it can be optimized to not require so much so early.  It certainly
was possible with older versions of the Hurd.  Maybe you will have to
compile your own lean gnumach, which can give you up to a MB or so.  Maybe
some changes in ext2fs made it more memory hungry at startup, although I
have no reason to believe so.

> Why? I mean isn't that a
> little on the high side? Actually I'm trying to boot hurd to enable swap - I
> guess I'll have to take the hard disk out again and put it in my computer to
> enable swap from there - I was hopping to avoid that ;).

You can enable swap before booting the first time.  Edit /boot/servers.boot
accordingly.  I amnot sure if this will enable swap early enough, but it's
the only thing that can help you, because even if you enable swap in the
normal way on a different computer, auth will be started before any swap
(not listed in servers.boot) is activated.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de