Re: Hurd on old computers

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd on old computers
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:46:26 +0200

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 09:51:41AM +0800, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Interesting... so that's explains why I couldn't get it to boot. I hate to
> ask but any ideas on how this compares to linux

Yes, it is exactly the same problem:  Software gets bigger and hungrier and
doesn't boot on old hardware anymore.

> (I was booting linux on the
> same machine).

But did you try it with 4 MB RAM ?  :)

I don't think anybody will object if you have good ideas with patches how to
reduce ressource consumption in the boot procedure or overall.  We don't lock
out small machines intentionally.
Personally, I think that it is right now more pressing to make the Hurd
scale well on big systems.  For example, the filesystem size limitation is
much more serious, as huge disks are common today.  SMP also gets more and
more important.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de