Problem to start X11

From: bertrand . sirodot
Subject: Problem to start X11
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:57:05 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to get X11 working on my Hurd server and I am having a few
problems.
I got the installation packages from the debian ftp site and the
installation went fine. The version I have installed in the 4.0.3.
I just ran xf86config and it created the XF86Config-4 file. I typed startx
and it went fine until it tried to load the keyboard. At that point it came
back with the following message: "Cannot open keyboard (No such file or
directory)." The keyboard I have is a US variant UK keyboard and it works
fine under the shell. The model defined in the XF86Config file is "pc101"
and the layout is "us".

I also have a question concerning the mouse management. In the /dev
directory, I don't have any device file for the mouse. What is the usual
device file for the mouse under the Hurd (equivalent of /dev/mouse)? I am
using a normal PS/2 mouse.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Bertrand.

PS: I had a problem with ldconfig. It doesn't seem to work as startx was at
first complaining about some shared libraries missing. All of them were
located in the /X11R6/lib directory which was in the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
I ran ldconfig and it didn't seem to do anything. I then tried to run
ldconfig -v and same: no message at all. I then tried to run ldconfig -p
and same: nothing. I finally fixed the problem by copying all the libs
under /lib. Is it a known problem?

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential.  If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message.  BNP PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message
if modified.
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sint confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur.

Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf
autorisation expresse.

L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, BNP
PARIBAS (et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce