Re: ShadowFS (status)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ShadowFS (status)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:45:30 +0200

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:06:26PM +0200, Moritz Schulte wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> Hi again,
>
> > Yes, this is important.  The user will get the port from the other
> > filesystem, and not a port from shadowfs.  In this sense, shadowfs
> > is an aggregation of cross-filesystem hard links in a new directory
> > tree (which is the union of the other directory trees).
>
> Is this possible with the current libnetfs? libnetfs is doing that
> port creation stuff alone without user-defined callbacks.

Right.  You will have to overwrite the netfs_S_dir_lookup function with your
own implementation.  You can base it on the default implementation (copy it
in your tree, and then frob it).  The reason that all those functions are in
different files in the Hurd libraries is to make that possible.

I can't see right now if a more general code in libnetfs would help you.
It would probably quite hard to work something out that is general enough to
make it into the library.  I suggest for now just to override the whole
thing (dir_lookup) and whatever other functions are in the way.
I would expect that several of the library functions dealing with
directories are not flexible enough to cope with shadowfs.
(Creating new files in directories, etc).

shadowfs is a somewhat special beast :)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de