Re: ShadowFS (status)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ShadowFS (status)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:14:55 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:31:07AM -0500, Steven Barker wrote:
> I put some thought on how shadowfs *should* work
> from the user's perspective, ignoreing the possible implemetation problems
> (like the translator's permissions).  If you can make the shadowing
> "transparent" to the user, by making most operations work as expected, it
> will be incredibly powerful.

Your thoughts covered only the file aspect of the interface, which is already
implemented (although a detail in the implementation is incorrect, the general
mechanism is in place).  Some behaviour should certainly be configurable.

However, the questions I raised where aspects of directories, which are handled
differently, and have different issues.

> Deleting files is tricky (*ugly hack alert*).

You can have special layers.  If a file in that layer exists, the search
fails as if no layer contained the file.  lower layers are ignored for this
lookup.  These layers hide the content of the lower layer, the content
of this hiding layer is ignored, too.

> Shadowfs will be really amazing when it
> lives up to it's potential.

what you describe is basically what it should do for files, yes.  Some of it
already works (I don't know how much, I didn't look at the latest version).

Thanks,
Marcus