hurd is slowly

From: Manfred Hansen
Subject: hurd is slowly
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:38:44 +0200

Hello,

i have installed hurd and hurd is very slowly on my system.
An "apt-get cache search apache" for example takes 300 second's.

Work with dselect is not possible beause, when want to install one program
(vim) it takes 4 houer's to check all the programms that are installed or
not installed.

Here are my vmstat

pagesize:          4K
size:            375M
free:            347M
active:           12M
inactive:       12.4M
wired:          3.66M
zero filled:    39.3M
reactivated:       0
pageins:        7.54M
pageouts:       3.55M
page faults:    62449
cow faults:      7001
memobj hit ratio: 95%
swap size:       126M
swap free:       126M

Another problem is when i mount my linunx system
settrans -a /linux /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s3
is it ok, but when i look in the directory i get the error message
"Computer bought the farm" it's a little bit funny.

I have a pentium 3 with 667 Mhz and 384 MB.
Hurd main F3

How can i look what my cpu are doing (idle)

Thanks Manfred