Re: removed socket file descriptor

From: Moritz Schulte
Subject: Re: removed socket file descriptor
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:28:54 +0200

Maurizio Boriani <debauxit@yahoo.it> writes:

> in order to make network running under my hurd box I've removed
> /server/socket/*.

I don't understand why removed the files. These are nodes where glibc
expects to find these servers.

> How can I do in order to replace this file descripor.

I'm not sure what you mean. But to setup networking, you should
recreate the files you've deleted.

moritz@hurd:~$ ls -l /servers/socket/
total 0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       0,   0 Oct 13 16:20 1
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       0,   0 Oct 13 16:20 2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            1 Oct 13 16:20 inet -> 2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            1 Oct 13 16:20 local -> 1
moritz@hurd:~$

To enable local sockets of the PF_LOCAL familiy, you should set up
pflocal: settrans -fg /servers/socket/1 /hurd/pflocal

> How them work in low level?

What exactly do you want to know?

> I'm using a 3com 905, gnumach support it?

Hmm. At least, gnumach contains drivers for it, try if they work for
you (I had problems with such a card). Does gnumach detect the card at
bootup? You can read the boot messages from /dev/klog (translated to
'/hurd/streamio kmsg') - but only once.

If the card is detected, you can try to setup networking via
installing the pfinet server. Check it's --help switch and/or the Hurd
Installation guides, which explain how to do that.

        moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://www.chaosdorf.de/moritz/
"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like