Re: Help installing

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Help installing
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:07:49 +0100

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:41:58AM -0400, Leonardo Pino Werlinger wrote:
> I managed to install Hurd from a tarball and it boots just fine and I can
> log as a root user. Also I have the Debian CD with all the additional
> software but the dpkg --install doesn't seem to work (executing from a
> Linux partition). Is there any instruction on how to do this?, I would like
> to do it package by package as I need them.

>From Linux, you can use the dpkg-hurd script to install programs:

cd /gnu
./dpkg-hurd --install /som/package.deb

However, note that postinst scripts will not be run.  So maybe do:

cd /gnu
./dpkg-hurd --unpack /som/package.deb
(boot to the Hurd)
dpkg --configure package

But I guess you want to use apt after all.  Several times there have been
hints here how to use apt to download under Linux, and install under the
Hurd, serveral packages including dependencies.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de