Re: Spam, Spam, Spam,....

From: Super-User
Subject: Re: Spam, Spam, Spam,....
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:26:58 +0000

Michele Dalla Silvestra wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 07:19:51PM +0100, Gerhard Muntingh wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 07:26:56PM +0100, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> > > Make the non-subscriber mails go to some moderators and send the
> > > subscriber mails directly to the list.
> >
> > Don't sacrify freedom for safety,
>
> It isn't a freedom problem (what is the meaning of freedom? everyone can do
> everything they like, spamming included? and we MUST receive spam?).

Maybe it is a combination of all, and the proper way to look at it is in
a pragmatic way.

I sometimetimes get spam telling me that I can get drum kits, toner and
even a motherboard upgrade for a printer that I paid a lot of money for
a long time ago, and I thought it was obsolete.
I also get some mail that I wouldn't even call spam: An opportunity to
get a real computer for 100 pounds is not spam to me, although
technically, it is: I didn't ask for that mail, so it is spanm, but I
sure am glad I got it, since I now sit here and write on my new
computer, a Sun Ultra 10 64 bit wondermachine, at last I have a Real
Computer (TM) again!

Then I get spam like this:

"Here is the result of your feedback form. The Abominable Perverts
Association, of which you have told us you are a member, hereby provide
you with the CHILD PORNOGRAPHY that YOU REQUESTED (oh God, please, let
someone look over his shouldder now!!) ..."

These should automatically go to the service provider's 'abuse' secion,
and in case of pornography, it should be found out if it is legal, if
not, the authorities should be notified. I have already got more than
most for Christmas, but how about this Christmas present: A pornography
spammer in jail!!!

We are programmers, we all know that this can be done ... but are we
willing?

Atle