Re: Hurd Projects

From: mike burrell
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:37:36 -0700

Marcus Brinkmann (Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de) said:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:47:57PM -0700, mike burrell wrote:
> > i know that the Hurd (or most of its developers) is more design-focused than
> > implementation-focused, and a clean break between cacheing and networking
> > would be the best design to use, but i'm maybe a bit impatient.
>
> Well, this is probably true, but the Hurd is also a liberal system in that
> it does allow you to work on such features as you are discussing seperately
> from the development of the Hurd itself.  Only where you need to get changes
> in (for example) the Hurd libraries themselve in, it becomes a matter of the
> official Hurd sources and how they are maintained.

yes this is true.  and really i'm planning to at least play around with it,
no matter what anyone says. ;P

though for efficiency's sake, it would be nice to get some co-operation
between developers.  and co-operation requires consensus.

> One important note:  You talked about turning something into a translator.
> This is usually done by linking it with the Hurd libraries, which are
> GPL'ed.  So please make sure you look out for GPL compatibly licensed
> software if you want to integrate it in a translator based solution.

no worries: squid is GPL'd.

> [1] Of course, we still are interested in merging useful programs into the
> Hurd source.  But it can work out either way without harming anyone.

pretty soon you're going to have to draw a line at what is "Hurd", though i
suppose.  is an HTTP translator part of Hurd?  is it an integral part of an
OS?  far too philosophical for me :)

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                                mikpos@shaw.ca