Re: Help installing with Debian.

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Help installing with Debian.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 02:38:47 +0100

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 01:30:17PM -0400, Leonardo Pino Werlinger wrote:
> I managed to install a tarball of Hurd on my Thinkpad, but now I want to
> add other features, like the development tools, XFree86, utilities,... etc.
> I downloaded a ISO image of DISK1 of the Debian distro. but I can't get to
> install the debian packages using dpkg from a Linux partition, it gives an
> error about a missing /var/dpkg/<something I don't remember>/status/. Is
> there other way to install these packages, or a pointer to the
> documentation?

You can try to use the script dpkg-hurd in the root dir of your GNU partition.
However, it is not perfect, some installation scritps won't be run.

So you are better off by installing the packages from GNU/Hurd.

There are ways to use apt by downloading under GNU/Linux what is needed, and
then booting into the Hurd and finish the install.
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de