Re: kernel troubles

From: mike burrell
Subject: Re: kernel troubles
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:11:23 -0700

Marcus Brinkmann (Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de) said:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 04:08:38PM -0700, mike burrell wrote:
> > then i tried testing out the networking.  not so good.  a "ping 127.0.0.1"
> > yielded a:
> >
> > Kernel General protection trap, eip 0x16ccce
> > kernel trap, type 13, code = 0
> > Dump of i386_saved_state 09888ad04:
> >  .
> >  . <register dump>
> >  .
> > trapno 13: General protection, error 00000000
> > panic: trap
>
> Holla! seems like a bug in the kernel.  Maybe it is related to having two
> ethernet cards.  If you can do the test, pull one out and see what happens.
>
> Then you can use both cards again, and boto gnumach-dbg in the gnumahc-dbg
> package.  Then report he fault eip address again, so we see where it
> crashes.

okay i'm afraid my results aren't very useful (at least to my eyes).

with both cards in (and /servers/socket/2 set up to use the 3Com), "ping
127.0.0.1" gave me:
        Kernel General protection trap, eip 0x17a3be
        kernel: General protection (13), code = 0
        Stopped at 0x17a3be:    testb   $0x40,0x283b68(,%eax,8)
and after taking out the 3Com and setting it up to use the Via Rhine, it didn't
give me any message at all -- "ping 127.0.0.1" just locked up the machine :(

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                                mikpos@shaw.ca