{dir,file}_notice_changes wrapper in libshouldbeinlibc?

From: Moritz Schulte
Subject: {dir,file}_notice_changes wrapper in libshouldbeinlibc?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:55:10 +0100

Hi there,

wouldn't it be a good idea to put libc-level wrappers around the
{dir,file}_notice_changes interfaces into libshouldbeinlibc?

That way it would be easy for programs to make use of these Hurd
features without having to use the Hurd RPCs themselves.

I'm thinking about for example something like:

error_t
request_dir_change_notifications ((void) (*callback) (dir_changed_type_t
change_type,
                                                      char *name),
                                   char *dirname);

Which would request dir notifications for DIRNAME and call *CALLBACK
with the according information whenever a notification message arives.

Is something like that the right way[tm]?

I just don't know how such a function would be implemented correctly
in libshouldbeinlibc, since it would have to wait for incoming
messages on a port.

Just an idea.

                moritz
--
moritz@duesseldorf.ccc.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199