unable to re-boot

From: David Walter
Subject: unable to re-boot
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:01:34 -0500

I installed and was successfully running the HURD.

After issuing apt-get update; apt-get upgrade this week, I was no
longer able to boot.

The message I received was:

hd03 bad access: block=28, count=2, blockend=30, nrsects2
end_request:IO_ERROR, dev 03:03, sector 28

serverboot terminating not becoming the default pager
HURD server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd012] exec init proc auth

I thought I had corrupted the partition but was able to fsck and
remount it under linux.

the partition is an extended partition which belongs to hd03.

The size of the partition is 1G.

I decided to try recovering the data from the partition by
re-installing to another partition.  Re-reading the docs I thought I
might have forgotten to assign the partition ownership to the HURD.

I had previously set aside some 1 G partitions, wanting to share data
between linux and the HURD, which were still empty, so I reformatted
with the -o hurd option on one of the empty partitions.

     mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hda12

(under linux)

I then installed and ran ./native-install boot, ./native-install

So far so good.

Now I add to grub and boot.

Okay I come up in single user mode. Okay, remove the -s option.
Reboot, multiuser mode okay. Do a couple of boots and tests everything
still seems okay.

Now after a bit of configuring, mounting the old partition, recovering
some data everything seems okay.

(By the way, is there a way to de-activate the translators on a
partition which you wish to copy, so that you don't inadvertantly
start the translator on some odd devices when copying? And if so can
you also copy the translator assignment(?don't know if this is how you
say it?) when you copy the file without activating the translator?)

So far so good. now

   apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

reboot and the system fails with the same error message as above,
notice this is with a new partition.

So is there something that has changed from H2 (IIRC)
and the current releases on

deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

Or did I miss a change in where to point apt-get?

Much appreciate your kind assistance.

Okay, should I feel foolish?  In looking for the correct name for the
CD image I have downloaded and burned, I read the following:

   To start the installation,  make the Hurd  partition with mke2fs -O
   sparse_super  -o hurd /dev/PARTITION,     where PARTITION  is   the
   partition of the hard disk you want to dedicate to the Hurd.

   mke2fs -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/PARTITION

Does the missing -O sparse_super have something to do with this error?
If so is there a reason why the install doc on debian.org at

   http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

differs from

http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html

        To create a file system,  we use mke2fs and  pass it `-o hurd'
        to designate the Hurd as the owner of the new file system. For
        instance:

        # mke2fs -o hurd /dev/DEVICE

Sorry if this was all because of selecting the wrong document, or
other error on my part.

But thanks for any pointers:

David