Could be slightly OT

From: Guy Bormann
Subject: Could be slightly OT
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:51:51 +0100

Hi,

Just out of interest, I was browsing(*) the HURD website and
stumbled upon this page
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd-paper.html
concerning the basic design decisions and extrapolations to
potential exploitation of its features. The idea of file system
translators for instance is very similar to Hans Reiser's ideas
about modern file system(s needs) as explained in
http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html
  I think the HURD could be the natural (test)platform to
implement such ideas instead of having new layers/file system
reorganisations crammed in Linux for the future releases of the
ReiserFS.
  This could be a new incentive for the HURD project if this is
where (database or info retrieval) computing is heading in the
future. (It might be the wrong impression, but the HURD project
seems not to catch on as fast as could be hoped for, whatever
development activity is quietly going on.)

Just an idea, (not that I think you people didn't know about
it already :-)))

Guy Bormann

P.S.:(*)Well, not really pointless browsing. I was looking for an
official stance of the FSF on Miguel de Icaza's "Mono story"
concerning the future of the GNOME (since it carries the GNU
acronym in its own acronym). However, I got distracted when
looking for the GNOME-link :-)))