Re: nodes have authors

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: nodes have authors
Date: 12 Feb 2002 22:50:38 -0800

ams@kemisten.nu (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

> > Why is chauth better than chauthor?
>
> Same reason why we have chown instead of chowner, I guess.  But maybe
> users would get confused with the auth translator, in that case chauthor
> would be a better name.

We have chown because the syscall is chown, which is because the very
old linker on pre-V7 Unix only allowed six character symbol names (and
the external name for "chown" was "_chown").

I think this argument does not apply to any new commands.

> Yes, but I thought that with the `symlink like' (the one suggested bellow)
> info this could be used instead of the normal modes.

The translator is set on the *underlying* node; the mode is returned
by the *root* of the translator filesystem.  Depending on which of the
two you get, you should see one or the other.

Normally (without special flags) you should always follow the
translator, and you would never see the => syntax.