????mux and firmlink

From: James Morrison
Subject: ????mux and firmlink
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:03:44 -0800 (PST)

  Hi,

 What I'm wondering is how to set a translator on a file when
the file is created.  So here is an example /hurd/crash could dump
into /var/crash, but a mux translator would be set on /var/crash so
a dump of the proc server would be /var/crash/core-proc but
core-proc would be a multiple firmlink to
/var/db/crash/core-proc-<timestamp> .  This would also be the same
sort of setup as /var/log so /var/log/gopherd.log would be firmlink
to /var/db/log/gopherd.log-<timestamp> .  Setting a system up this
way seems to obsolete logrotate.

 Another idea for core dumps would be if a sysadmin/developer only
wants to keep the last x number of dumps around, the muliple firmlink
could run sequencially through x number of files already created and
simply overwrite them as a core dump would usually overwrite the
last core dump.

 Within this rant, there is actually a question: Will hostmux allow
this or will a real filemux translator need to be written?  I don't
think usermux can do what I am looking for here but I could be wrong.

 More mux rant: Would a use of usermux be for /proc, in that
usermux is set on /proc starting a procfs for each user, so
/proc/jim contains a procfs of only my processes. Does the user
actually have to exist or could the procfs assume if the user doesn't
and is called system or GNU_Hurd_rulz or whatever, that it should act
like a system wide procfs like neals procfs acts now?

note: the patch I posted to bug-hurd for a multiple firmlink doesn't
actually work for dates, I don't know why.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone refering this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU