Re: ????mux and firmlink

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ????mux and firmlink
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:32:33 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:03:44PM -0800, James Morrison wrote:
>  What I'm wondering is how to set a translator on a file when
> the file is created.

You need to have the translator managing the directory in which the
file is created (either directly, or as a subdir of the translator), and
intercept the dir_lookup call with the CREATE flag.

I am not sure if you really want to do that, but that's how it could be
done.

> So here is an example /hurd/crash could dump into /var/crash,

Why shouldn't it dump into the CWD of the task, at least for some things,
like user's tasks.  And why shouldn't crash directly create an appropriate
filename?

> but a mux translator would be set on /var/crash so
> a dump of the proc server would be /var/crash/core-proc

I don't see how the translator could know about that it is proc crashing.

>  Within this rant, there is actually a question: Will hostmux allow
> this or will a real filemux translator need to be written?

hostmux mux'es hosts.  It does a lookup on the hostname to check for
equality (like, looking up localhost will return the same node as
127.0.0.1).

> I don't
> think usermux can do what I am looking for here but I could be wrong.

Usermux does a password file lookup to check for equality, eg looking up
root and 0 will return the same node.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de