Re: first install

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: first install
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:15:28 +0100

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:37:15AM +0100, Jean-Roch Sotty wrote:
>       The gnumach boots and then booting I get a message from serverboot :
> (this is ok but ...)
> (serverboot) : terminating, not beccoming default pager.
>
>       So I wandered if it was a normal behavior. Have I missed something in
> grub
> (config from sample menu file) ?
>       I suppose someone knows here.

Yes, it is normal behaviour and correct.  I think at some time we might garbage
collect such debug messages, but currently they are helpful for us in case we
made a mistake.

As you might see from the first message ("compat mode"), using serverboot
is the old way of doing things.  In the old days, serverboot was the default
pager of the Hurd system, too (and you can specify a paging device in the
servers.boot config file).  But we wanted to get rid of serverboot, as it is
too monolithic and redundant (contains filesystem parsing code etc, eg what
grub already can do much better).  So Roland wrote a new default pager,
mach-pager, which is started in /libexec/rc as the first thing we do.
This default pager is more powerful, too (you can add and remove paging
devices and files on the fly).  But to actually be able to use it,
serverboot must not become the default pager, so we configure it in
servers.boot to not do so but to terminate.  What it does, as you noticed :)

(You can get rid of serverboot completely by changing your grub configuration).

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Marcus