Re: shared libs in /usr/X11R6/lib/

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: shared libs in /usr/X11R6/lib/
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:40:53 +0100

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:06:41PM +0100, Christian Lynbech wrote:
> The problem is easily fixed by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately,
> but I suspect there is a better way.

No, currently not, sorry.  This has been discussed before, with listing all
possible future solutions.  Please browse the list archive of the
debian-hurd mailing list (mmh. http://lists.debian.org/ports.html)

> The directory /usr/X11R6/lib/ is
> listed in /etc/ld.so.conf but it does not appear to have any effect.

ld.so.conf is a linuxism.  We stick with the ELF standard, which says RPATH
is the way to go, which unfortunately violates Debian policy.  The upcoming
ELF standard will have RUNPATH which we can use, but it is not yet supported
by binutils.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de