Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:57:41 -0500

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:34:33PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:30:03AM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
>
> >   New, little stuff:
> >
> > For the GNU annex: several utilities are required for boot or
> > restoration of GNU/Hurd, and so should be required in /bin: settrans,
> > showtrans, fsysopts, devprobe, others?
>
> I think devprobe isn't really required, I have never used it. The
> others are right.

  Alright.  I find it handier than reading /dev/klog dumps, though.

> We could also add parted for example.

  Parted should go into /sbin, right?

  Related: since normal users on a GNU/Hurd system are to be permitted
to create filesystems on their own files, the mkfs family belong in
/bin. FHS puts them in /sbin, since they are not normally to be used
by standard users.

Richard