Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:03:51 -0500

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00:12PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Richard Kreuter <kreuter@ausar.rutgers.edu> writes:
>
> > Distributors wishing to maintain compatibility with non-GNU/Hurd
> > systems may create symbolic links in the /sbin directory to these
> > binaries (for use, e.g., by scripts with hard-coded filenames).
>
> This paragraph is unnecessary.  It's up to the distro to decide which
> way they want the links to point.

  I put in several similar paragraphs, and it seemed simplest and most
symmetric to require all binaries to be where the GNU coding standards
require, and have symlinks in other places.  Should I remove the other
similar paragraphs?

> > The /com hierarchy should contain the following directories:
> >
> > /com/mail
> > /com/spool/news
> > <...what else?>
>
> This is not necessarily true.  It is true only if those things can
> actually be shared, given the other software on the system.  I would
> avoid putting any list here.

  Alright.  I wanted to provide an example or two, since maybe people
aren't familiar with /com or what it's for.  I'll remove the example
list.

Thanks,
Richard