Problem with booting

From: Bill Beebe
Subject: Problem with booting
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:02:23 -0500

I apologize for bothering.

I have downloaded the four CD ROM H3 set. After burning them I installed from
the first onto a 5GB test partition on my system. My system is currently set
up to boot a number of operating systems using GRUB. GRUB was installed when I
installed RedHat 7.2. After installing the Hurd I followed the directions on
the first CD in /hurd_doc/hurd_ins.htm, essentially cutting and pasting the
GRUB menu entries from the document into my menu. After making the appropriate
change for the boot device (boot=device:hd0s6), I used GRUB to start the boot
process. Everything appeared to boot until it attempted to start the servers.
This is the next-to-last line on the screen that seems to make any sense:

start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd02: badd access: block=28, count=2, blockend=30,
nr_sects2

It then hangs, requring a power reboot. I have two hard IDE drives, hd0 and
hd1. The secondary IDE controller has two CD-ROMS, a DVD on hd02 and a burner
on hd03.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.