Re: Memory allocation

From: James Morrison
Subject: Re: Memory allocation
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:06:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ludovic Courtès <lcourtes@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:48:08PM +0300, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> > The second question is about using mmap/munmap instead of
> > vm_allocate/vm_deallocate.  In pq.[ch] they are mixed, there is no
> > consistency.  What is the reason to prefer `mmap' to `vm_allocate'?  Is
> > there a policy about that?
>
> Some translators use the libc functions (malloc, mmap, etc.) while others
> only
> use the `native' allocation functions like vm_allocate(). Since libc calls
> are
> wrappers to vm_*, shouldn't be better to use vm_* in any Hurd-specific code
> (such as translators)?
>
> Cheers,
> Ludovic.

 I would think the opposite.  The vm_* functions are mach system calls and on
L4 there may be a better way to get memory than emulating the vm_* calls, so
I think the libc functions should be used.  I also think the libc functions
should be used so the code is easier to read.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone refering this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU