Re: Memory allocation

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: Memory allocation
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:24:01 +0300

James Morrison wrote:
 I would think the opposite.  The vm_* functions are mach system calls and on
L4 there may be a better way to get memory than emulating the vm_* calls, so
I think the libc functions should be used.

If we use `m*' functions how will we do `vm_copy' and other Mach:isms? (It sounds like masochism, doesn't it? ;-) It's best to use only one interface that can do all we'd want to -- the `vm_*' functions. Later we can switch to using something like Kernel Abstraction Layer library. (Farid Hajji names it Virtual Kernel if i recall correctly.)

Regards
--
Ognyan Kulev <ogi@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>, "\"Programmer\""