Re: Improving Hurd

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: Improving Hurd
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:03:47 -0700

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:46:17PM +0200, Jan Atle Ramsli wrote:

> That, and an attitude that someone who hasn't plowed through the
> entire source tree isn't worth talking too, creates a circle that
> scares off potential recruits.

> I have read this list for several years now,

Perhaps you've noticed that there have been a fair number of new
conributors.

Everyone who shows up seems to think they can solve the "big"
problems.  But it's amazing how few people are interested in helping
port software to the Hurd.  And amazing how few people will read the
material that's already available on the webpages (or will volunteer
to help write/translate/etc. the webpages).

But we each come with a certain set of skills.  In some cases those
skills might be listening and then helping new people.  If you can
program, you can make sure your apps run.  If you have some debugging
skills, then write good bug reports (It doesn't take terribly long to
find a bug).  You'll find when you use the skills you have, it's easy
to acquire more of them.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey