Re: mach kernel boot messages & pfinet configuration

From: Grant Bowman
Subject: Re: mach kernel boot messages & pfinet configuration
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:12:03 -0700

* Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@kemisten.nu> [020422 05:14]:
> * Grant Bowman writes:
> > /hurd/pfinet: eth0 (os/device) no such device settrans:
> > /hurd/pfinet: translator died
>
> Did the (eth0) device get detected and configured by GNUMach?

Thanks for your very quick reply, Alfred.  You too Marcus.

Now that I have the text I can see that it wasn't recognized.  The driver
"ne" wasn't even probing.

> > I'm also having a problem -getting- the text of the kernel "dmesg"
> > so that I can find out more about what the Mach sees of my hardware.
> > I'm assuming my next step is to compile a new kernel but I can't see
> > if the devices I need are already in the stock kernel since I think
> > they scroll by too fast.
>
> We don't have dmesg. Do something along the lines of:
>  $ cat /dev/klog > ~/klog
>  ^C # Hit ^C after a few sec...
>  $ cat ~/klog # Read and enjoy.
>
> Note: This will only work _ONCE_ every boot, /dev/klog gets flushed on read!

Thank you Alfred and Marcus, that's just what I needed.

> All devices that GNUMach provides are compiled in by default in the Debian
> package I believe.

If it's compiled in and it doesn't show up during boot do I just have to
pass it a parameter to make it activate and recognize?  I'm hoping to
get by without having to compile a new kernel if possible.

> > * /boot/servers.boot gives files to run by /boot/serverboot.gz, but
> >   I can't find where to pass the -d argument to the serverboot
> > program described in /info/hurd.info-1.gz, node: Invoking
> > serverboot.  This would give a pause (hopefully somewhere useful)
> > until a key is pressed.  I've tried passing it via the kernel line
> > of my menu.lst file (both before and after the root= argument) but
> > it won't work.
>
> Huh? I don't know what  you are talking about here, if you are talking about
> setting up a sub-hurd then maybe we are on the same track.  But I do not
> see how that would help you right now.

If you look in the file /info/hurd.info-1.gz in the node titled
"Invoking serverboot" it describes what I'm talking about, but it's a
mute point now.

> > * Putting /bin/sleep commands in both /libexec/rc and /libexec/runsystem
> >   are too late in the boot process to help much but they do help a
> > little.
> Yes, as they are the last things that get run at boot.
>
> > * The BIOS detects the card at IRQ 10, isapnp under Linux shows this:
>
> >   # Card 1: (serial identifier 2a 02 8c d9 c8 01 22 8b 11) # Vendor
> > Id DLK2201, Serial Number 42785224, checksum 0x2A.  # Version 1.0,
> > Vendor version 0.0 # ANSI string -->D-Link DE-220P PnP ISA Card<--
>
> You could check the GNUMach source code and see if this card is supported to
> begin with.

Yes, the DE-220 is supported by the ne.c driver in
gnumach-20011013/linux/src/drivers/net/ne.c and is an #ifdef in that
file as SUPPORT_NE_BAD_CLONES.  One of the reasons I got this model is
that even though it's PCI it is a very standard NE2000 clone that should
run in just about any computer.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>