Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:17:30 -0400

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 06:06:06PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:33:37PM -0400, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> > Here's a redraft based on the discussion over the last day or
> > so.
> >
> > The GNU system has been designed with a goal of providing users with
> > more power than they have traditionally been afforded on Unix and
> > Unix-compatible systems.  As a result, several system binaries are
> > useful to normal users and should be found in /bin:
> >
> > mkfs.*
> > mk*fs
> > *fsck
> > fsck.*
> > parted
> > *fdisk
>
> Are utilities unrelated with filesystems or partitions allowed to use
> these names? maybe we should refer to them by their functionality to
> avoid confusion.

(I'm sending this back to help-hurd, since that's where the thread's
been.)

FHS 3.14.3 refers to them by name and description.  I'll reword the
requirement to resemble the following.

"3.14.3  Specific Options

The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /sbin if the
corresponding subsystem is installed:

fastboot   Reboot the system without checking the disks (optional)
fasthalt   Stop the system without checking the disks (optional)
fdisk      Partition table manipulator (optional)
fsck       File system check and repair utility (optional)
fsck.*     File system check and repair utility for a specific filesystem
(optional)
"
...and so forth

Thanks,