Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:55:19 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:50:08AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> * Richard Kreuter <kreuter@ausar.rutgers.edu> [020512 22:44]:
> > GNU specific annex:
> >
> > 6.2  GNU
> >
> > This is the annex for the GNU operating system.  We sometimes refer
> > to this as the GNU/Hurd system, in cases where it is necessary to
> > distinguish the GNU system from other systems that use large amounts
> > of GNU software.
>
> Good, but I think this does not acknowledge that GNU/Linux is still a
> GNU system.

Considering they call it "the Linux operating system" i don't think they
are willing to acknowledge that GNU/Linux is a GNU system. :)

Referring to "GNU" and "Linux" as OSes separately in the same document
seems inconsistent, but I don't think consistency can be archieved
when there's a disparity of opinions after all.

> Generally, I think GNU alone is ambiguous and shouldn't be used given
> the climate today.

"GNU" and "GNU/Hurd" are valid names. The climate today is that when people
read "GNU/Hurd" they think "Hurd".

If we avoid the "GNU" term today, tomorrow "Hurd" will be the name of the
whole system.

cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992