Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: 22 May 2002 17:02:20 -0700

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> writes:

> A climate is never a reason for not doing the right thing. The only
> reason the name GNU/Hurd exists is because GNU might be ambigous, but
> the paragraph before it already speaks about GNU/Linux so that doesn't
> really matter. We could say "Hurd-based GNU system" in the first line
> to clear everything up.

The name GNU/Hurd is clear, convenient, and a proper name for the
system--sez me, sez RMS, sez just about everyone else.

Sometimes we say GNU, sometimes GNU/Hurd.  When we are explicitly
contrasting a Linux-based system from a Hurd-based system, it is most
clear to use the two terms GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd.

We don't have control over the whole document, but we probably get to
put what we want in our section, and in our section, I think using the
more clearly contrasting names is the right thing.

Thomas